Transitional housing and AIDS in New York City: An analysis of permanency outcomes
Lorber, Kim R.
MetadataShow full item record
This study examined the individual factors that contribute to the discharge of residents of a transitional housing facility for people with AIDS to permanent housing. Such individuals meet many challenges in their efforts to accomplish this housing goal, including limited housing availability, the impact on physical and mental health due to chronic illness, and lack of social supports. The research question was: What individual factors are associated with successful transition to permanent housing for people with AIDS?;This area of inquiry addresses an emerging social problem---the long term needs of people living with AIDS. The advent of new medical treatments has increased survival rates. Longevity has, in turn, created individual needs heretofore not addressed by existing human services. New programs of service have had to be created, stressing existing financial and service delivery resources.;This exploratory study was a retrospective review of all case records through and including November, 2003 (N = 309) of one transitional housing residence in New York City. The data collection instrument was constructed based on the intake forms completed by residents at the time of admission for contracted stays of three to six months. Discharge outcomes were categorized as positive or negative, reflecting a successful or unsuccessful permanent placement. Nearly 60 percent of residents had negative discharge outcomes. The majority (92.3 percent) were non-white, and 94.4 percent had histories of substance abuse. The mean age was 41 at time of admission and 70 percent of residents were male and 30 percent female. Approximately 70 percent of admissions were as single individuals while the other 30 percent were admitted as couples. Almost half of the residents had less than a high school education. Social support was limited for most residents. The relationships between the dependent variable, discharge outcomes, and the independent variables, year of admission, race/ethnicity, social support, and being part of a couple, were statistically significant.;This study explored experiences of a specific, previously minimally researched group. While housing options, including transitional and hospice settings, met the needs of people with AIDS early in the epidemic, policy modifications are necessary to meet the quality of life and long-term survival prognoses of people with AIDS during the third decade of the AIDS epidemic.
- Theses and Dissertations